Saturday, 23rd January 2016
Boston Town
1 : 3
Cogenhoe Utd

Boston Town 1, Cogenhoe 3

Penalty clanger conspires to sink Town

Boston Town 1, Cogenhoe 3
For a second game running, a penalty decision - this time the awarding of one - contributed to the Poachers' downfall.
Ninth placed Cogenhoe showed their intentions as early as the first minute, breaking through the home defence but shooting straight at Doughty. The home custodian was forced into further action 3 minutes later when Jason Field, on his return from Stamford AFC, was caught out. A minute later Alex Beck's shot was cleared off the line.
Despite the strikers effort Town were not firing on all cylinders and the visitors took a deserved lead on 12 minutes.  A cross failed to be dealt with by Boston's defence and McGowan stole in to beat Doughty.
Jordan Nuttell went close five minutes later shooting just wide and from here on in, the game started to get patchy with niggly fouls coming to the surface. This seemed to distract referee Matthew Lake who, instead of clamping down on the visitors increasing foul count, managed to miss blatant poor challenges on 'keeper Doughty and one which left Richard Ford needing attention.
With ten minutes to go before the break Town at last began to mount some sustained pressure. From Craig Parker's corner on 35 minutes, Alex Zarrelli's goalbound shot was cleared off the line, with Field's ensuing shot from distance flying just over.
In the move of the half, Field linked up with Parker down the left and the latter's cross found Nuttell who beat keeper McAdoo but watched in vain as the ball bounced back off the cross bar.
In injury time came the moment that arguably put the contest out of reach for the Poachers. In defending a corner from Cogenhoe's left Ford was poleaxed in the penalty area and a follow up shot hit him on the shoulder from point blank range.
Amazingly referee Lake pointed to the penalty spot, despite the shot having hit Ford whist he was face down on the ground with his arms underneath him.
Doughty to his credit saved the spot kick only to see Bowen tap in the rebound.
Ryan Parnell replaced Zarrelli after the break and Town mounted early pressure. The officiating malaise contined with referee Lake missing a blatant handball then penalised Wood's trip from the resultant Cooks' break. The defended proceded to be booked for dissent as he, and the rest of Town's  players, staff and fans protesting the poor decsion making by the man in the middle.
Town were clearly the better side in the second 45 and, with the exception of the visitors hitting the bar in the 62nd minute, looked likely to get back into the game. Fleming shot over two minutes later, but on 70 minutes Town would get a goal back. The excellent Nuttell won yet another aerial battle which sprang the lively Parnell. His 1-2 with Fleming saw him fire past McAdoo for his second goal in two games. Moments later Field nearly capitolized on Nuttell's knock down but shot agonizingly wide. Parnell then hit the post but was adjudged to be in an offide position.
Cogenhoe had the last laugh though as Bowen scored his second of the afternoon in the closing minutes, the ball taking a cruel deflection.
Town ultimately were punished for a slow start but will feel agrieved by the unfathomable penalty decision, and will have felt their excellent second half performance deserved a point. They are next in action this Saturday (30 January) when they travel to Northampton to take on Sileby Rangers in the UCL Knockout Cup. The Poachers' next home game is on Saturday, 13 February when they entertain Desborough Town at the DWB Stadium.
Town: Doughty, Lambley, Parker, Ford, Wood, S Ashton, Fleming, Zarrelli (Parnell), Beck (Moore-Papworth), Nuttell, Field.

(photo courtesy of Boston Standard)

Our Sponsors
DWB Timber Engineering Boston
Newton Fallowell Lettings
Join Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter