Saturday, 13th August 2016
Boston Town
2 : 3
Eynesbury Rovers

Boston Town 2 Eynesbury Rovers 3

Late heartbreak again for Poachers

Boston Town 2 Eynesbury Rovers 3

Boston Town must be wondering what they must do to register their first points of the season. Looking in charge with six minutes to go the Poachers conceded two late goals as they tired.

After initial Rovers pressure Town started brightly with a long ball from Joe Crowther nearly finding Alex Beck. Jack Wightwick's superb diagonal pass did find Fraser Baylliss on 7 minutes but the youngster was outmuscled off the ball. The latter put in a telling cross a couple of minutes later forcing Eynesbury keeper Greygoose to punch away as Trott flew in.

Town nearly went one up soon after, Beck putting Bayliss through only to bring a point save blank from Greygoose. Further pressure ensued, but Eynesbury countered and forced a comfortable save from home custodian Jack Pearson.

On 23 minutes Loz Lambley was sent down the right wing and his deep cross was handled in the area by a Rovers defender. The ensuing 2 minute delay whilst a Rovers player was treated for an injury seemed to benefit the visitors, with Greygoose flying high to his right to beat out Trott's spot kick.

Both sides looked dangerous in the following passages, Daryl Clare nearly springing Trott with long ball up the middle, and Pearson being called into action again to tip over a shot that looked to be dipping behind him.

On the half hour Wightwick's cross beat everyone but Trott could only fire across the face of the goal. A minute later the deadlock was broken. Beck found Wightwick who slid in Bayliss to beat Greygoose.

Rovers nearly hit back immediately when they rounded keeper Pearson only to see Simon Ashton clear off the line. Pearson was booked for his challenge.

The second half began with Danny Wood replacing Clare. Town nearly increased their lead on 52 minutes - Beck forced a corner which Wood took, Ashton heading narrowly wide. Wightwick's speed was causing the Eynesbury defence problems, and a Bayliss' brilliant ball skills forced yet another Poachers corner.

Not to be out done, Rovers responded with their best move of the half, a flowing move down the right catching Crowther out of position, but the ball in was fired well over Pearson's crossbar. On 68 mins the excellent Trott beat his man wright and crossed for Beck who, in trying to get a shot off, was felled in the area but this failed to impress referee Beaton.

On 73 minutes and against the run of play Eynesbury drew level, a long range shot totally deceiving Pearson. Boston hit back, and six minutes later Trott was fouled just outside the visitors' area. Wightwick stepped up and curved  the free kick past Greygoose.

But the visitors were to have the last laugh as own tired. On 84 minutes a diagonal ball was pumped into the home penalty area. Pearson came out to punch but missed and the ball was gratefully slotted in for the equalizer. And two minutes later the Poachers were crest-fallen - Pearson could only parry a long range shot with Rovers tapping in the rebound for shock winner.

The Poachers now face Peterborough Northern Star at the DWB Stadium this Wednesday, kick off 7:45pm before entertaining Newport Pagnell Town at home on Saturday, 3pm.

Boston Town: Jack Pearson, Loz Lambley, Joe Crowther, Simon Ashton, Michael Wood, Daryl Clare (Danny Wood), Fraser Bayliss, Richard Ford (Josh Sunter), Danny Trott, Alex Beck (Sam O'Malley, Jack Wightwick  Subs (not used): James Lambley, Matty Kennedy.

Our Sponsors
DWB Timber Engineering Boston
Newton Fallowell Lettings
Join Us On Facebook
Follow Us On Twitter