'Mixed emotions'

09 Dec 2018 in News

'Mixed emotions' 'Mixed emotions'

Manager is angry, frustrated but proud

Gary Edgley says he has mixed emotions about yesterday's 3-2 defeat at Peterborough Northern Star.

His side almost pulled off an impressive comeback after going 3-0 down in the first 16 minutes.

Edgley said: "I have a mixture of emotions from Saturday's game, frustration, anger, proudness and wondering when our luck will change - we are not getting the results our performances deserve.

"But first of all the frustration...again we didn’t start well, which is now becoming an Achilles heel of ours. You can’t concede three goals in the first 15 minutes to any team and expect to get away with it, and the three goals were gifts, gifts that we have not had the luxury to have!

"The first goal we didn’t defend a set-piece which we have spoken about doing better at, the second goal is where the anger starts to come in - a ball played across our box found a completely unmarked PNS player five yards from our goal to tap into an empty net - which would have been fine if he hadn’t been two yards offside, which the linesman apologised for after the game! Brilliant that helps us. 

"The third goal, our keeper air-kicked the ball so it left their forward with a simple tap-in, I’m not going to get on at our keeper, he knows he has made a big mistake, but this has been completely out of character for him as he’s been brilliant since he has come to the club. 

"After that first disastrous 15 minutes we were brilliant, we played great football, put PNS under constant pressure which I have to add they defended for an hour with their lives! 

"We created more chances and were more proactive going forward than we have done in any game so far this season, we scored two good goals and after the second of our goals went in it looked like we would go on and win the game and in all fairness we should have, credit to their management team who even agreed that we should have. PNS cleared two off the line and their keeper pulled off two very good saves, on top of us missing two or three other very good opportunities. 

"Then we go back to the anger. With 35 minutes left an off-the-ball incident saw our skipper fall to the ground after getting elbowed, which the referee saw. He stopped the game, pulled the PNS over and everyone including the PNS team expected him to be red carded - a yellow card followed! 

"Then five minutes later the same player flew into a reckless challenge which is 100% a yellow card, giving the referee the chance to atone for his first mistake and surprise surprise it never came. And then at full time speaking with the referee he tells me he has made a mistake as well and has been pulled up with it by an assessor who was watching the game - again thanks! 

"But I was proud of the showing my lads gave with their work ethic and the football they played where other teams being 3-0 down may well have downed tools and already given up on the game. But we have to start turning these performances into points or we will be in trouble."

Photo: Both sides observe a minute's silence in memory of John Weeks ahead of kick-off (c) @Sports_Darren


Older Newer