First Team



Desborough Town

Sat 31 Oct 2020 | United Counties League Premier Division | Home


DWB Stadium





Match report by Tom Carter

It was a late Hallowe'en nightmare for Fraser Bayliss when his stoppage time penalty was saved as Boston Town continued their winless streak to 5 games.
The Poachers were looking to end a 4 game winless streak as they hadn’t won since their 4-0 victory over Wellingborough Town back in early October. This time they hosted 16th place Desborough Town.
Early on in the game, Boston had two free kicks in quick succession which were both in dangerous positions. First of all, Lee Beeson had his effort saved well by the Desborough keeper then not long after Stacey Cartwright’s shot went over the bar. 17 minutes played, Luke Rayner had the ball in the net for the Poachers but was flagged offside. Tom Garrick also put the ball in the net after a corner was failed to be cleared but a foul in the box saw that one ruled out.
It was all Boston for the majority of the opening 45 minutes but Desborough were the team who took their chance and scored after a well taken shot on the edge of the area ended up in the net at the far post. Desborough’s lead didn’t last long as on the stroke of half time, Fraser Bayliss wiggled past his man and slotted home to equalise for the Poachers. Half Time was 1-1.
The start of the second half saw a golden opportunity for the Poachers go fading away. Good link up play from Luke White and Fraser Bayliss saw White eventually shooting but failing to hit the target. A chance town would regret to mess as Desborough scored two goals in 5 minutes. Goal number 2 was headed in at close range and goal 3 was defended poorly from a corner and resulted in a simple tap in for the visitors. Desborough led 3-1.
After those two quick fire goals, Desborough looked to have the victory in the bag. That was until the 80th minute when new signing Aboubcar Sylla hit an absolute screamer which curled freely into the top corner, surely a goal of the season contender. It was all to play from that point and Boston kept on knocking on the door, throwing everything they could at Desborough. 4 minutes into added time, Fraser Bayliss was taken down and a penalty was awarded. Bayliss took the penalty but the keeper guessed the right way and saved down to his right. Late drama was certainly great drama for Desborough as 2 bending efforts from Captain Lee Beeson were cleared off the line by the Desborough number 4. It was unbelievable stuff at the DWB Stadium on the afternoon of Halloween but after a few more defensive clearances from the away side saw the referee saw the final whistle blow; Boston Town (Bayliss, Sylla) 2-3 Desborough Town.
It is now 5 games without a win for Boston Town. They are due to host Pinchbeck United on Tuesday night which is likely to be the last game until at least December 2nd due to the month long lock down. Please come down and support the Poachers in what should be a cracking Lincolnshire derby.


Back to Fixtures